The Columbia County Rural Library District is asking for your help in redesigning the garden area in front of the library. As a continuing effort to grow and serve the community better, CCRLD would like to create an open and inviting outdoor space in front of the library.
The Columbia County Rural Library District and the Friends of the Dayton Memorial Library are sponsoring a design contest for the Bell Garden space in front of the library. The winner will be named at a special reception and will have the opportunity to see their design, or elements of their design implemented. The winner will also have a plaque in the garden and have the opportunity to name the new garden area.
The space is 21’ 6” along the east and west edges and 19’ north and south. The bell is on a base, which is 3’ 8” square.
The budget for this project is $1000 for labor and materials.
The contest is open to all ages. Both groups and individuals are encouraged to enter.
- There must be some spaces for seating.
- All plants and other elements must be low maintenance
- There must be at least 10” of hardscaping or xeriscaping/ drought resistance landscaping around the perimeter. This is to protect the basement from water damage due to maintaining thirsty plants. (Existing plantings will be relocated.)
- The design must compliment the architecture; this includes incorporating the bell and design elements that are in scale with the building.
- The winning design will be a pleasing and inviting space for people to relax and enjoy.
- Xeriscaping (landscaping and gardening that reduces or eliminates the need for supplemental water)
- Native plants
- Low maintenance and weather resistant architectural/art elements
- Edible plants
To enter, please submit no later than 5pm, Friday, May 16, 2014:
- A scale drawing of your plan, on an 11 x 17 sheet paper, that includes a key to the elements in your design.
- A brief written description of your plan.
Contestant’s plans will be on display in the library from May 19 to May 29. Community members will vote to decide the winner.* A reception will be held in the Delany Room on Friday, May 30, 2014 at 6 pm to announce the winner.
- The winning designer(s) will see his/her design implemented*
- The winning designer(s) will have the opportunity to name the new garden
- The CCRLD will install a plaque engraved with the garden’s new name and the name of the designer(s) somewhere in the garden.
*If the results of voting are not decisive, the library reserves the right to use elements of the winning design along with elements of other designs, as the budget allows.
For more information, call the Columbia County Rural Library District at 382-4131, email firstname.lastname@example.org or come by the library at 111 S Third, Dayton.